This week, we’ll be taking a look at the quintessential Mojito! Made from a combination of white rum, sugar, lime juice, soda water and mint, this iconic Cuban drink is a Friday-night must have guaranteed to get the party started.
Want to make up the perfect Mojito yourself at home? Read on!
60ml White Rum
1tsp granulated white sugar
Juice of 1 lime
Handful of mint leaves
Ice cubes (crushed)
At The Lion Hotel, we favour Havana Club white rum for our Mojitos! Smooth and delicious with hints of oak and sugar cane, it’s a perfectly balanced spirit that’s fruity, sweet and citrusy.
Here’s what you need to do to make the perfect Mojito to kickstart your evening:
- Add the lime juice and sugar to your glass and mix well,
- Place the mint leaves in the palm of your hand and clap. This helps to release the aroma of the mint by bruising the leaves. For extra mintiness, rub it around the rim of the glass and then drop it in.
- Throw in the crushed ice, filling the glass about halfway.
- Pour in the rum and stir well until all the sugar has dissolved.
- To finish, add more ice and a splash of soda water. Use any leftover mint to garnish.
- Serve & enjoy!
That’s really all there is to making a delicious, thirst-quenching Mojito. What’s more, you can shake things up and add a twist to the classic with whatever you please. For example, using flavoured rums can bring a whole new dimension to the taste, or add pears, berries or oranges for a fruity twist!
Visit Us For Cocktails in Derbyshire
If you’d prefer to sit in the lap of luxury and have your cocktails served up by an expert, then come and visit us at The Lion Hotel. At our bar & restaurant, we offer an extensive cocktail (and mocktail) menu that includes the classic mojito alongside exciting variations including raspberry and passionfruit flavours. Alongside a wide range of food and drinks to tickle your fancy.
Non-drinkers don’t even have to miss out on the action as we have a fresh and delicious apple mojito available for you to enjoy! Contact us today to find out more about our cocktail menu and visit us soon to see what our expert bartenders can whip up for you!